Welcome to Module 1! This module will introduce you to Blackboard Learn, our university’s Learning Management System. Before you begin, please take a minute to watch this brief introduction video.
Upon the completion of this module, you will:
- Recall the process for logging into Blackboard
- Recall how to navigate Blackboard.
- Identify the expectations of being an online learner.
To Do List
- Watch: Module 1 Introduction Video (LO1, LO2)
- Read: What is Blackboard? (LO1, LO2)
- Read: Online Learner Expectations (LO3)
- Read: Navigating the My Courses Page (LO2)
- Watch: Global Navigation and My Blackboard (LO2)
- Watch: Changing the Language of the User Interface (LO2)
What is Blackboard?
Blackboard Learn or Blackboard for short is the tool that you’ll be using during for your online courses to access your course material, submit your assignments, and view your grades. All students are automatically given access to Blackboard and their courses on the first day of the term. Students can access Blackboard by visiting my.utrgv.edu and clicking the Blackboard icon under Applications, or by downloading the Blackboard App in your device’s app store.
Online Learner Expectations
Whether you’re new to online learning or a veteran online student, it’s important to set the learner expectations. As an online student it is essential that you are self-disciplined and self-motivated. Online learning takes full commitment and self-discipline to keep up with the course schedule. You are also expected to be comfortable with technology. This includes knowing the basics such as sending and receiving email, downloading and installing software, and using office applications such as Word and PowerPoint.
We’ve also provided the following tips that we recommend you follow for online learning success.
- Explore Blackboard and become comfortable with it. (You’re already on the right track for taking this orientation).
- Devote 5 to 10 hours per week, per course.
- Login to Blackboard daily.
- Read all the text in your course.
- Take Notes
- Prepare for Audio/Visual Components such as live synchronous sessions.
Navigating the My Courses Page
|A||Global Navigation & Logout||Use the Global Navigation to access My Blackboard, your Blackboard Settings, Social Tools. The logout button is also located here.|
|B||Top Navigation||The top navigation provides access to My Courses, the Student Support Tabs, and any additional tabs for which you have access to.|
|C||Secondary Navigation||The secondary navigation provides links to any additional pages within the Top Page Navigation.|
|D||Important Announcements||Any important announcements such as upcoming maintenance or known issues will appear here.|
|E||My Courses||All academic courses will be |
|F||My Announcements||Announcements made in any course and organization will appear here.|
|G||Trainings & Organizations||If you’re enrolled in any trainings or organizations, their Blackboard shell will appear here.|
|H||Course Search||Use the organization search tool to self-enroll in an open course.|
|I||Announcements||Additional university announcements and services will be made available here.|
|J||Organization Search||Use the organization search tool to self-enroll in a training or organization course.|
|K||COLTT Help Desk||Having trouble with Blackboard? Contact COLTT for assistance.|
Global Navigation and My Blackboard
Changing the Language of the User Interface